FEMA Approves Over $1 Million In Grant Funds To The City Of Davenport, Iowa

Main Content
Release date: 
January 24, 2002
Release Number: 
R7-02-07

Kansas City, MO, January 24, 2002 -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced that more than $1 million in federal funding will be made available to help reduce the risk of future flood losses in Davenport, Iowa.

The project entails the acquisition of 24 residential structures within the 100-year floodplain of the Mississippi River, Duck Creek and Black Hawk Creek. After the structures are acquired and demolished, the land will be permanently converted to public use and developed as municipal open space, recreational areas or wetlands. The funds will be provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which provides 75% of the funds for approved grants that lessen or eliminate the loss of lives and property in future disasters. The remaining 25% must be provided from non-federal sources.

Richard Hainje, director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., said, "FEMA's goal is to help reduce both the potential for future flood damage and the corresponding human suffering it causes. Iowa communities continue to join in this partnership in a concerted effort to solve their flooding problems and develop disaster resistant communities."

The approval of this project resulted from a cooperative effort by the three partners involved, namely the Iowa Emergency Management Division, the city of Davenport and FEMA.

"Removing people from harm's way and protecting facilities that provide essential services are important steps in making a community more resistant to future disasters," said, FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh. "I commend the state of Iowa and the city of Davenport for their efforts."

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top