Jackson, MS -- Federal and state disaster assistance to the 15 disaster-stricken Mississippi counties reached $2,908,714, today. Applications totaling 1,229 have been received from individuals, families and business owners who sustained disaster losses resulting from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding which occurred between November 24 and December 17, 2001.
The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) has approved Individual and Family Grant checks to 275 families totaling $909,658, while $790,956 in disaster housing assistance checks was sent to 597 families. The U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved $1,208,100 so far in low-interest disaster recovery loans.
"With a deadline of February 5, we urge anyone who sustained damage during the recent storms and has not registered for assistance to do so immediately," said Leon Shaifer the state coordinating officer for disaster assistance. "If you have any questions about whether you are eligible or not to receive assistance, call 1-800-621-3362 to discuss your needs. You may be eligible for assistance and not realize it."
Applications taken by county are: Bolivar, 106; DeSoto, 136; Grenada, 5; Hinds, 5; Humphreys, 139; Lafayette, 11; Leake, 6; Madison, 106; Panola, 133; Quitman, 299; Scott, 2; Sunflower, 75; Tate, 23; Tunica, 29; and Washington, 154
Gracia Szczech, the Federal Emergency Management Agency's official in charge of the recovery effort, said, "To register for disaster assistance is a simple process. All that is required is to make one toll-free phone call. The number to call to register, or to inquire about the status of your application if you have already registered, is 1-800-621-3362 (1-800-462-7585 for the hearing or speech impaired)."