FEMA Announces Funds To Replace Damaged Equipment In Houston's Wortham Theatre Building

Main Content
Release date: 
December 13, 2001
Release Number: 
1379-129

Houston, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has obligated $1,133,824 to the State of Texas for repair and restoration of the City of Houston?s Wortham Theatre Building, pending compliance with program requirements. Tropical Storm Allison flooding damaged the building, furnishings and equipment.

Heavy rains, high winds and flooding in June of this year flooded the basement of the Wortham Theatre with 26 inches of water damaging the basement and tunnel levels, orchestra pits, elevators, electrical and mechanical rooms, dressing rooms and the orchestra rehearsal studio.

The restoration process provides for the removal of 60,000 square feet of water from the basement, cleaning flooring, delivery of air movers and removal of drywall, carpet and vinyl floor covering. In addition, the funds will cover the repair of fire protection pumps and alarms, re-upholstering 100 theatre chairs, debris removal, and other damage associated with the flooding. Funding is also provided for hazard mitigation to reduce the potential for future flood damage to the theatre.

FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $1,511,765 cost and the remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from local resources.

"The restoration and replacement flood damaged items by Tropical Storm Allison at the Wortham Theatre, carries an important priority," said FEMA director Joe Allbaugh, "This funding involvement by FEMA assures area residents that a vital portion of the City of Houston?s arts emphasis will be returned to pre-Allison disaster conditions."

The funds are being made available under the FEMA Public Assistance Program. The State of Texas administers the program under which eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government units and certain non-profits providing essential government-like services in the areas of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

This Press Release Was Updated on 06/28/05

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top