New Englanders Need To Apply For FEMA Help

Main Content
Release date: 
November 20, 2001
Release Number: 

Boston, MA -- New England families and individuals who are facing foreclosure or eviction from their homes as a direct result of financial hardship stemming from the loss of the head of household in the World Trade Center attacks may be eligible for help under a federal program.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Mortgage and Rental Assistance (MRA) program provides grants to eligible families and individuals to help them meet mortgage or rental payments. To qualify, applicants must have occupied the home as their primary residence at the time of the disaster, and they must have received a written notice of intent to evict or foreclose from their landlord or mortgage holder. The registration deadline for the MWR program is 6 months from the date of the WTC event.

If you anticipate that you will need assistance within the 6 month period following the event, you should not wait, apply by January 10th. "We urge any eligible resident throughout the six New England states who may need help should apply right away," said Joe M. Allbaugh, Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). "If disaster-related financial hardship continues, we may be able to provide assistance for up to 18 months."

To apply for the MRA program, people must first register with FEMA by calling 1-800-462-9029, or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing or speech impaired. The hours of operation for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) toll-free registration and Helpline numbers will change starting Monday, Nov. 26. If you have applied to FEMA for assistance, you can check on the status of your application by calling the Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585). Both lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday. In honor of the Thanksgiving holiday, both the registration and Helpline will be closed.

The application process is the starting point for a wide range of federal, state and voluntary disaster assistance programs and services. Operators can also provide applicants with information and referrals to programs, resources, and services offered by other agencies and voluntary organizations. Translation services are available to accommodate the needs of all language groups.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top