North Forest ISD Eligible for $1.4 Million In FEMA Funds for Equipment Replacement

Main Content
Release date: 
November 16, 2001
Release Number: 
1379-120

Houston, TX -- According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), $1.4 million has been approved for the North Forest Independent School District, Houston, for equipment replacement pending compliance with program requirements.

Heavy rains and high winds from Tropical Storm Allison caused severe flooding of 2.5 to 3.0 feet of water for three days to three permanent buildings. Several temporary buildings received between 9 - 30 inches of water damage. The funds are being provided to Forest Brook High School for furniture, equipment, supplies, electronic and music equipment, clothing and library books.

FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $1.9 million cost with the remaining 25 percent non-federal share coming from local sources.

"It is vital that our public education system remain in good repair and that North Forest ISD officials have the assurance that they will now have access to the financial resources to continue providing quality education to students," said Scott Wells, federal coordinating officer.

"We are keenly aware of the high importance placed on education in Texas and pledge to work closely with officials in order that the funds are available to repair the damage to Forest Brook High School," said Butch Smith, state coordinating officer of the Division of Emergency Management (DEM), Texas Department of Public Safety.

The funds are made available under the FEMA Public Assistance program. The State of Texas administers the program. Under the program, eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government and certain non-profit units providing essential government-like services in the area of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top