President Authorizes 100 Percent Funding For New York Public Assistance Grants

Main Content
Release date: 
September 18, 2001
Release Number: 
1391-06

Washington, DC -- The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that President Bush has made additional assistance available for New York's response to and recovery from the terrorist attacks by authorizing an increase in federal funding to cover the full cost of disaster aid programs for the state and local governments.

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the President's major disaster declaration issued last Tuesday initially directed the federal government to pay 75 percent of the eligible costs for debris removal, emergency services and restoring public facilities damaged by the explosions and fires. The remaining 25 percent was to be provided by the state and affected local governments.

Under the President's order today, Allbaugh said the federal government will now pay 100 percent of those costs retroactive to September 11, the date of the President's declaration. The counties designated eligible for the assistance under the declaration include Bronx, Kings, New York (boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan), Queens and Richmond.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top