Types Of Disaster Aid Available To Victims Of Terrorist Attacks

Main Content
Release date: 
September 12, 2001
Release Number: 

Washington, DC -- The disaster declaration issued by President George Bush last night for parts of New York State triggers disaster assistance to those directly impacted by the effects of the apparent terrorist activities.

Government disaster assistance covers basic needs and will not normally compensate you for your entire loss. If you have insurance, the government may help pay for part of the loss not covered by insurance.

Disaster victims may be eligible for some of the following types of aid:

  • Crisis counseling to help families and victims deal with the impact of the disaster;
  • Help with funeral expenses;
  • Disaster unemployment assistance for those out of work as a result of the disaster, including self-employed persons and others not normally eligible for unemployment;
  • Low-interest loans or grants for renters or homeowners whose primary residences were damaged or destroyed or who face displacement from their homes as a result of the disaster;
  • Low-interest loans or grants to repair or replace personal property damaged or destroyed as a direct result of the disaster;
  • Business disaster loans to fund repair or replacement of real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other assets. For small businesses, low-interest loans may be available for working capital.

Victims of the disaster can register for assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free number, 800-462-9029 (TTY 800-462-7585). Others who are in need of assistance should cal the local chapter of the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

If you have insurance, you should also call your insurance company or agent.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top