Bismarck, ND -- Federal disaster funds have been made available for three North Dakota counties to help local governments rebuild public property damaged by the recent storms and high groundwater problems in North Dakota, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today. The counties are Adams, Golden Valley and Grant. This brings the total to 36 counties and two reservations eligible for disaster assistance.
Because of the July severe storms in the state, an extension was made, lengthening the time period during which damage caused by the severe storms and flooding is covered by the disaster declaration. Local governments in all of the declared counties and reservations may be eligible for assistance for damages sustained between March 1 and July 31, 2001.
FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the assistance was approved following a review of damage data gathered by federal and state disaster recovery officials.
"Ensuring that vital community services are restored as quickly as possible is part of our continuing commitment to help North Dakota achieve a full and lasting recovery," Allbaugh said.
Affected local governments in the counties are eligible to apply for federal funds to pay 75 percent of the approved cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities.
"The quick response and news of the approval for these three counties to be added on to the current disaster declaration is great news," said North Dakota Governor John Hoeven. "Along with the previously affected counties, these counties can begin the process of restoring their public infrastructure damaged by the recent storms."
The funds were authorized under the major disaster declaration issued by President Bush on May 28 and made available through FEMA's Public Assistance program for state and local governments.