San Juan, PR -- Commonwealth and federal recovery officials report that more than $7.7 million has been approved in disaster aid to help local residents and businesses recover from the floods and mudslides that occurred May 6 to 11, 2001.
After the May 16 presidential disaster declaration for the affected areas in Puerto Rico, the recovery efforts performed to date by FEMA, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and other federal and voluntary agencies are:
INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY GRANT (IFG) PROGRAM
A total of $5.3 million has been approved under the IFG program. Administered by the Department of the Family, the IFG program provides assistance to individuals and families to meet serious disaster-related needs and necessary expenses not covered by insurance, federal, commonwealth or voluntary agency disaster assistance programs.
FEMA DISASTER HOUSING
The FEMA Disaster Housing Program has disbursed $1.5 million in aid. To date, the total aid approved in the nine designated municipalities is:
|Municipality||Disbursed Disaster Housing|
|Sabana Grande||$ 28,806|
|San Germán||$ 72,162|
FEMA disaster housing assistance includes grants for rental assistance and/or to cover basic repairs to make damaged homes habitable. This aid is not intended to fully compensate individuals for their entire loss, but gives them a helping hand on the road to recovery.
SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (SBA)
SBA has approved a total of $896,500 in disaster related loans. Low-interest SBA loans may be available to homeowners, renters and businesses of all sizes to cover real estate and personal property damage that is not fully compensated by insurance or other sources.
FEMA/ COMMONWEALTH DISASTER RECOVERY CENTERS (DRCS)
- Two DRCs are located in Yauco and Adjuntas.
- The DRCs have been set up to provide information about the disaster assistance programs. There are phones available at the DRCs for those residents who do not have phone service to call the FEMA toll-free registration line at 1-800-462-9029. Hearing and speech impaired individuals may call TTY at 1-800-462-7585.
- The last day to register for most federal and commonwealth disaster assistance programs is July 16. The registration line will close at 5:00 p.m. on that day. The National Teleregistration Center operates Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will close the Adjuntas and Yauco Disaster Recovery Centers on July fourth in observance of the federal holiday. FEMA's National Telereistration Center and Helpline will also close on July fourth and reopen the following day.
The fixed DRC operates from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and are located at:
- Multi-Service Center (former Senior Citizens' Center)
65 Infantry Street (Intersection Encarnaci?n)
The mobile DRC operates from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and are located at:
- Dr. Rosendo Mart?nez Center
Rd.135 Km. 76.8, Barrio Yahuecas