Disaster Recovery Centers Convert To Workshops

Main Content
Release date: 
June 27, 2001
Release Number: 

Baton Rouge, LA -- For Louisiana residents who wish to have face-to-face meetings with Recovery Specialists to get answers to questions and check on the status of their applications, the time for visiting three Disaster Recovery Centers is getting shorter. State and federal officials have announced the closing of the Disaster Recovery Centers and the opening of U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) workshops in those facilities.

The following three Disaster Recovery Centers will continue to offer all services to applicants through 1 p.m. Saturday, June 30:

Vermilion Parish
Erath High School Gymnasium
808 South Broadway
East Baton Rouge Parish
Robert E. Lee High School
1165 Lee Drive
Baton Rouge
St. Mary Parish
Berwick Civic Center
300 Patti Drive

After 1 p.m. Saturday, these centers will become workshops for the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). SBA representatives will be available to help residents and business owners who are eligible for low-interest loans to help cover residential and business disaster losses not fully compensated by insurance.

The workshops will operate Saturday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. After June 30, they will be open Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a. m. until 6:00 p.m. until further notice. Closed on Sundays.

Even though the Recovery Centers are closing, help is still as close as a telephone call. To register call toll-free 1-800-462-9029. Applicants may call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 to find out about assistance programs and the status of their applications. Those who are hearing- or speech-impaired can call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585 to apply or to check on their applications. The telephone numbers are operational from 7:00 a.m. to 10 p.m., CDT, seven days a week until further notice.

Disaster assistance programs include housing assistance, grants for serious needs and necessary expenses not covered by insurance or other programs, and low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for flood-damaged residential and business property. Disaster unemployment assistance, tax assistance and other special services are also available to eligible persons affected by the disaster.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top