Think about Flood Insurance

Main Content
Release date: 
June 25, 2001
Release Number: 

Kansas City, MO -- In the aftermath of recent spring storms and flooding in the Kansas City area, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials are urging homeowners, renters and businesses to purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Flood insurance coverage for buildings and contents is sold through private insurance companies and agents and is backed by the federal government. The program was created to provide affordable flood insurance to people who live in areas with risk of flooding. Even if you live in an area that is not flood prone, it's still advisable to have flood insurance. Between 25 and 30 percent of the NFIP's claims come from floods occurring outside high-risk areas.

You can buy federal flood insurance no matter where you live if your community participates in the NFIP and adopts and enforces sound floodplain management practices.

Unfortunately, many homeowners do not realize that their homeowners insurance policy does not cover flooding until it is too late. Only national flood insurance protects you in a flood event.

FEMA officials urge all homeowners, renters and business owners to call the National Flood Insurance Program Telephone Response Center, toll-free at 1-800-427-4661 to get more information, including the name of a local insurance company that writes flood insurance policies.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top