Main Content

Have Insurance? Apply Anyway

Main Content
Release date: 
June 20, 2001
Release Number: 

Baton Rouge, LA -- The flooding caused by Tropical Storm Allison wrecked property and disrupted lives. State and federal officials urge anyone whose property was damaged in these floods to take immediate steps to start the recovery process.

One important step in recovering from the damage caused by Tropical Storm Allison is for those Louisiana residents who have flood insurance to file their claims with their insurance agent. Insurance can reimburse policyholders for emergency measures taken during the flood, as well as damaged personal property and repairs to covered buildings and businesses.

Filing a claim will not adversely affect a policyholder's premiums or policy cancellation, according to federal officials. Policies in effect before this storm will maintain their stated costs and benefits for policyholders for the life of the policy.

Another important step for flood victims is to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by calling toll-free 1-800-462-9029. For the hearing- or speech-impaired the TTY number is 1-800-462-7585.

By registering with FEMA you may be eligible for a wide range of disaster assistance programs including housing assistance, such as alternate rental housing, emergency repairs to make a residence livable, and mortgage or rental assistance; low interest disaster loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration; disaster unemployment assistance; and grants for serious needs and necessary expenses not met by other programs.

Federal assistance is designed to help people recover from under-insured as well as uninsured disaster losses. But it can't duplicate payments from other sources. People who are fortunate enough to have flood insurance should work with their insurance agency and FEMA to get the most recovery assistance they can.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: