Freeport, ME -- Federal disaster funds have been made available for Kennebec, Penobscot and Washington counties to help local governments rebuild public property damaged by the recent severe storms and flooding in Maine, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today. Franklin, Oxford and York counties were previously designated as eligible for aid.
FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the assistance was approved following a review of damage data gathered by federal and state disaster recovery officials.
"Ensuring that vital community services are restored as quickly as possible is part of our continuing commitment to help Maine achieve a full and lasting recovery," Allbaugh said.
Affected local governments in the three counties are eligible to apply for federal funds to pay 75 percent of the approved cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities.
The funds were authorized under the major disaster declaration issued by President Bush on May 16 and made available through FEMA's public assistance program for state and local governments.
Procedures for requesting the assistance will be explained at a series of applicant briefings to be conducted by state and federal disaster officials at locations to be announced shortly in the county area.