Main Content

Federal Disaster Assistance Extended To Four More Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 7, 2001
Release Number: 

Davenport, IA -- The counties of Grundy, Lucas, Pottawattamie, and Union have been added to the list of Iowa counties designated eligible for federal disaster assistance, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today.

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the designations followed a review of additional information regarding damage incurred from the severe storms, tornadoes and floods that have plagued the state since April 8.

"We remain committed to delivering assistance wherever it's needed and making sure that every qualified person and government agency receives the help they require to recover from the effects of this disaster," Allbaugh said.

This addition makes federal assistance available to eligible individuals (homeowners, renters, and business owners) in Pottawattamie and Webster counties. It also extends federal assistance to repair or replace eligible disaster-damaged public facilities located in Gundy, Lucas, Pottawattamie, and Union counties.

Steve Zimmerman, state coordinating officer for the Iowa Emergency Management Division, said, "Assistance to individuals could include grants to help pay for temporary housing needs, minor home repairs, and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance."

State and local officials, and representatives from eligible non-profit organizations in the designated counties are eligible to seek reimbursement from FEMA for 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency services related to the storm and restoring essential public facilities damaged by the storm. The State of Iowa and the applicant will share the remaining 25 percent.

The Iowa counties now included in the disaster declaration are: Allamakee, Buchanan, Calhoun, Clayton, Clinton, Des Moines, Dubuque, Grundy, Henry, Humboldt, Jackson, Lee, Louisa, Lucas, Muscatine, Palo Alto, Pottawattamie, Ringgold, Sac, Scott, Union, Wapello and Webster.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top