Federal Disaster Funds Authorized For Maine

Main Content
Release date: 
May 16, 2001
Release Number: 
1371-01

Washington, DC -- Federal disaster funds were made available for Maine today to help communities in the counties of Franklin, Oxford and York recover from the effects of severe winter storms and flooding that struck the state earlier this year, according to the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the assistance was authorized under a major disaster declaration issued for the state by President Bush. The declaration covers damage to public property from the storms and flooding that occurred over the period of March 5--31.

Under the declaration, federal funds will be provided for the state and affected local governments in the three counties to pay 75 percent of the eligible cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and restoring damaged public facilities, such as roads, utilities and buildings. Funding also will be available to the state on a cost--shared basis for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks.

Allbaugh, who designated the counties eligible for the aid following the declaration, indicated that additional designations may be made later if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments. He named Marianne Jackson of FEMA to serve as the federal coordinating officer for the recovery effort.

Jackson said that procedures for requesting assistance will be explained at a series of applicant briefings at locations to be announced shortly in the affected areas.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: