FEMA Extends Deadline for Earthquake Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
April 17, 2001
Release Number: 

Olympia, WA -- Joe M. Allbaugh, the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), announced today that the deadline for individuals and business owners to register for federal and state disaster assistance has been extended one month. Anyone who suffered damage in the Nisqually Earthquake of February 28 now has until May 31 to register. The announcement was made at the Fourth Avenue bridge where construction on a temporary bridge is underway.

Olympia Mayor Stan Biles, Representative Brian Baird and Olympia business owners greeted the Director at the site to discuss the progress of the temporary bridge.

Disaster victims who need assistance can call the toll-free registration line 1-800-462-9029 to register. Persons with speech or hearing impairments can call the TTY line, 1-800-462-7585. Those who have already applied can ask questions about their applications by calling the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 (TTY at 1-800-462-7585). These lines are staffed 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

The new deadline applies to anyone in either the counties or the tribes declared for Individual Assistance. The 20 counties eligible for Individual Assistance are Benton, Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, Skagit, Skamania, Snohomish, Thurston, Whatcom, Wahkiakum, and Yakima.

The 25 Tribal government reservations eligible include the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation, Hoh Tribe, Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe, Lower Elwha, Lummi Nation, Makah Tribe, Muckleshoot Tribe, Nisqually Tribe, Nooksack Tribe, Port Gamble Indian Community, Puyallup Tribe, Quileute Tribe, Quinault Nation, Samish Nation, Sauk-Suiattle Tribe, Shoalwater Bay Tribe, Skokomish Tribe, Snoqualmie Tribe, Squaxin Island Tribe, Stillaguamish Tribe, Suquamish Tribe, Swinomish Tribe, The Tulalip Tribes, Upper Skagit Tribe and the Yakama Nation.

Applicants may qualify for assistance under several federal and state programs such as temporary disaster housing assistance, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loans for homeowners, renters and businesses of all sizes or grants to meet disaster-related needs not covered by other programs.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top