Main Content

President Authorizes 100 Percent Funding For Louisiana Winter Storm Clean Up

Main Content
Release date: 
March 13, 2001
Release Number: 

Washington, DC -- The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that President Bush has made additional assistance available for the Louisiana ice storms last December by authorizing an increase in federal funding to cover the full cost for debris removal.

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said federal funding for debris removal was previously cost-shared with FEMA paying 90 percent of the eligible costs and the state and local governments providing the remaining 10 percent. Under the President's order, the federal share has been increased to 100 percent.

The cost-share adjustment is retroactive to December 11, 2000, the date of the winter ice storms that resulted in a Presidential disaster declaration for the state. The increased assistance is restricted to removing debris caused by the ice storms and must be completed by March 13, 2001.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: