Disaster Grants Available for Residents Who Need Housing Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
March 12, 2001
Release Number: 

Olympia, WA -- Individuals and families whose homes were damaged or destroyed as a result of the Nisqually Earthquake may be eligible for disaster housing assistance, according to Bill Lokey, federal coordinating officer with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

"Our top priority is to make sure that everyone is in safe, secure and livable housing," said Lokey. "No one should worry about not having a place to live while long-term repairs are being made."

Disaster grants are available to eligible residents for temporary housing, they include:

  • Rental assistance for owners or tenants whose homes were destroyed or substantially damaged so they can have a place to live while repairs are being made. Some may receive funds to help with alternate housing for up to three months or longer;

  • Home repair assistance for homeowners for emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable until more extensive repairs can be made. Examples of emergency work could include essential repairs to electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems, as well as general carpentry to make a home safe and habitable.

"To qualify for a limited home repair grant, the applicant must be an owner-occupant and the home must be the primary residence," Lokey said.

Call FEMA's toll-free line to register for assistance at 1-800-462-9029. Hearing/speech-impaired persons may call TTY-1-800-462-7585. Those affected by the disaster may also visit a nearby Disaster Recovery Center where they can talk face-to-face with relief workers about the kinds of assistance that may be available to them.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top