Disaster Assistance Passes Million Dollar Mark

Main Content
Release date: 
December 18, 2000
Release Number: 
1349-13

Disaster aid to Oklahoma residents and business has reached $1,038,744. Included in that total is $221,044 in grants to individuals and families who were affected by the severe storms and flooding in Oklahoma between Oct. 21 and 29.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved 53 checks to help individuals defray the costs of temporary housing or emergency essential repairs. These checks totaled $132,050.

A total of $88,994 in Individual and Family Grants has been approved for 28 applicants. Administered by the State of Oklahoma, these grants provide a safety net for people who have exhausted all other means of assistance and still have unmet disaster-related needs. FEMA provides 75 percent of the funding for the program and the state pays the remaining 25 percent.

The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved 29 low-interest disaster loans totaling $817,700. Twenty-four loans were for losses to homes and personal property totaling $726,600. Four business loans have been approved for both physical damage and economic injury totaling $91,100.

* HELPLINE SERVICE AVAILABLE

Disaster Recovery Centers that were set up in Apache, Lawton and Edmond have closed but applicants wanting information about disaster assistance or the status of their applications can call a toll-free number to get the same basic services that were available at the centers.

Residents and business owners who have applied and want information or need to update their applications may do so by calling the disaster helpline at 1-800-525-0321. Except for the Christmas and New Year's holiday weekends, applicants can call Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

* REGISTER BY TELEPHONE

Homeowners, renters and business owners in Caddo, Carter, Comanche, Grady, Oklahoma and Tillman counties with losses caused by the severe storms and flooding in October who still haven't applied for federal and state disaster aid should do so as soon as possible. One phone call to 1-800 462-9029 starts the process. It takes 20-30 minutes to answer the questions. The TTY toll-free number 1-800-462-7585 provides both registration and helpline services. for the hearing- and speech-impaired

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top