Main Content

Disaster Recovery News Summary

Main Content
Release date: 
December 8, 2000
Release Number: 

Disaster Assistance Passes Half a Million Dollar Mark

In less than 10 days since President Clinton issued a major disaster declaration for Oklahoma, $612,000 in grants and low interest loans has been approved for some of the 213 residents and business owners who have applied for disaster assistance.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grants totaling $82,387 has been approved for 37 residents to help defray the costs of temporary housing or emergency essential repair costs. These Disaster Housing grants may just be the first of several types of assistance that applicants will be eligible to receive.

Almost $60,000 in Individual and Family Grants (IFG) also has been approved for 10 applicants. The IFG program is administered by the state and provides a safety net for people who have exhausted all other means of assistance and still have unmet disaster-related needs FEMA provides 75 percent of the funding for the program and the state provides the remaining 25 percent.

The U.S Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved $472,000 in low interest disaster loans for 10 individuals and seven business owners.

Applications by county are Caddo (121),; Carter (33),; Comanche (15),; Grady (30),; and Tillman (14)

Application Line Hours Change

The disaster application line is now available Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Anyone with flood damage in the five counties designated eligible for individual assistance is urged to call 800-462-9029. Although the deadline is January 26, 2001, homeowners, renters and business owners are encouraged to apply for assistance as soon as possible.

Helpline Service Available

Residents and business owners who have applied and want information regarding disaster assistance programs or needing to update their application may do so by calling the disaster helpline at 800-525-0321. This system can provide applicants with many of the same services available through a Disaster Recovery Center. Applicants can call Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The TTY 800-462-7585 toll-free number for the hearing and speech impaired provides both registration and helpline services.

Apache Center Continues to Assist Applicants

The Apache assistance center, which opened on December 1 at the former Family Medical Clinic Building, 121 Evans Street, has provided more than 100 applicants with the opportunity for individual disaster assistance to meet with federal, state and volunteer agency representatives. Here, applicants have their questions answered, receive program information, and update their application information. The center will continue to serve applicants from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday, until further notice.

SBA Loan Officer Assistance Continues

SBA loan officers are present at the Apache Center and continue to assist applicants who have been issued disaster loan applications. They will be at the center Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice. SBA loan packets issued to applicants must be completed and returned, either by mail or at the center, or it could delay other forms of eligible assistance.

Ardmore Two Day DRC Serves Grady County Applicants

A Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) in Carter County which opened on Friday, Dec. 8, will be open again on Saturday, Dec. 9, to provide homeowners, renters and business owners who have applied for federal and state disaster assistance the opportunity to meet with program specialists.

The center, located at the Carter County Emergency Operations Center (City Hall) at 23 S. Washington St. in Ardmore, will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The DRC provides app...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top