Helping Arizona Flood Victims

Main Content
Release date: 
October 31, 2000
Release Number: 

Phoenix, AZ -- Many times, when disaster strikes a community, neighbors respond by giving. Arizona has been generous to those affected by devastating October floods. Volunteer agencies have received so many contributions of food and goods for those in the Wenden area that the principal need now is money.

"Due to the tremendous outpouring of donated items to Wenden-area residents, we are no longer in need of donated goods", advises Mr. Tom McSherry, Salvation Army. "If additional needs are identified, we will make those specific needs known through the media."

The most helpful contribution at this time would be a cash donation. Cash would not only help those who have suffered loss directly, but would benefit the local economy when items are purchased at their businesses. With cash donations, those who have been displaced and whose living conditions are a detriment to their health and safety will to be able to purchase items and services that cannot be donated. These include such things as medical prescriptions, eyeglasses, work tools. Additionally, the money could be used to pay bills, such as rent, due to individual's loss of income.

Financial contributions may be made to recognized 501(c) 3 disaster relief agencies that are involved in the Wenden relief effort. "Monetary donations help empower the survivors to regain control of their lives" said Mr. McSherry.

Flood victims in the designated counties of La Paz and Maricopa are eligible to apply for assistance and are urged to call FEMA's toll free registration line at 1-800-462-9029. The registration line for persons who are hearing or speech impaired is TTY 1-800-462-7585. Hours of operations are 7 a.m. till 7 p.m., seven days a week until further notice.

Additionally, in Cochise, La Paz and Santa Cruz Counties the Presidential Disaster Declaration provides federal funding for the removal of debris causing health and safety hazards, and the repair and replacement of flood-damaged public facilities, such as roads or bridges.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top