Lansing, MI -- The joint Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) in Taylor and Dearborn will close at 7 p.m. Friday (Nov. 3), but additional assistance is still available, state and federal disaster officials announced today.
"We have started to see a significant reduction in the number of application calls and visits to the disaster recovery centers," said the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Federal Coordinating Officer Suzanne Schmitt. "This is usually an indicator that victims are receiving the assistance and information that they need, and signals a natural transition to more assistance with low-interest loans."
Disaster assistance is still only a toll-free call and the application deadline is Dec. 16.
- FEMA toll-free application number, 800-462-9029 or TTY 800-462-7585, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday
- FEMA toll-free Helpline, 800-525-0321 or TTY 800-462-7585, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday - to check on the status of your application
More than $6.2 million in grants has been approved for more than 60 percent of 4,112 residents who have applied for assistance. These Disaster Housing grants cover temporary rental assistance or emergency essential repairs, and may be just the first type of assistance that an applicant can receive.
The SBA has also approved $203,400 for 11 homeowners, and those totals will rise as more claims are processed. The agency has already issued more than 3,100 loan application packets, but only 155 have been completed and returned.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will open a new disaster loan assistance office tomorrow in Southgate and continue to operate several others offices until further notice. Loan officers are available to answer whatever questions they may have about the disaster loan program and walk applicants through the process step-by-step.
The SBA office locations and operating schedules are:
- City of Southgate Library (Rooms B & C), 14680 Dix-Toledo Rd. -- 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 10 to 5 on Friday, and 10 to 5 on Saturday, Nov. 4
- Allen Park City Hall, 16850 Southfield Road in Allen Park; Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wyandotte City Hall, Conference Room, 3131 Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte; 9 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday
- Lincoln Park City Hall, 1355 Southfield, Lincoln Park; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Eastpoint/Social Security Bldg., 19853 Outer Drive, Dearborn opens Monday, Nov. 6, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Southwest Detroit location (to be determined)