Ohio Disaster Assistance Summary

Main Content
Release date: 
October 10, 2000
Release Number: 
1343-09

Xenia, OH -- Federal and state agencies are working in partnership to help Ohio residents following the recent severe storms and tornado. The following is a summary of ongoing response and recovery efforts since the Presidential declaration on September 26th.

Almost Half A Million Dollars Approved For Disaster Grants And Low-Interest Loans

Nearly a half million dollars in disaster housing grants and low-interest loans have already been approved for some of the more than 700 Greene County residents who have called to apply for federal and state disaster assistance. President Clinton declared the county a major disaster area on September 26. So far 726 residents have called to apply for various types of state and federal assistance.

Disaster Housing grants totaling $19,823 for 26 victims had been approved. These grants are available to people whose homes were damaged or destroyed by the September 20 storms and tornado to cover temporary rental assistance, emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable or reimbursement for repairs already completed and mortgage or rental assistance in cases where the disaster has caused extreme economic hardship.

An additional $408,600 has also been approved in eight low-interest home loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Almost $45,000 has been approved for just 10 applicants through the Individual and Family Grants (IFG) Program, which provides a safety net for people who have exhausted all other means of assistance and still have unmet disaster-related needs. The grants are a last resort and in most cases are available only if an applicant has been denied an SBA disaster loan. The IFG program is administered by the state, with FEMA providing 75 percent of the funding and the state providing the remaining 25 percent.

Once approved, all applications involving grants are forwarded to the U.S. Treasury where checks are issued for disbursement.

"Safe Room" Display And Materials Available At Recovery Center

In an effort to promote safe rebuilding in tornado-prone areas, FEMA hazard mitigation specialists have a "safe room" display, complete with literature on wind-resistant building techniques, available at the Disaster Recovery Center, 61 Greene Street in Xenia. The temporary recovery center, located on the second floor of the Juvenile Court Building, will remain open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice.

A similar "safe room" structure and materials to assist local homeowners and builders in their recovery efforts is also on display in the lobby of the Greene County Department of Public Works at 667 Dayton-Xenia Road.

Ohio EMA's State Coordinating Officer Dale Shipley explained that those who have applied for assistance may visit the center with any questions regarding disaster-related programs and services available to Greene County. Those programs include disaster housing grants, low-interest loans for repair, replacement or rebuilding of disaster-damaged property, grants for serious immediate needs resulting from the disaster that cannot be met by other sources and/or technical assistance on common-sense measures to reduce future disaster risks.

Representatives of other state and federal agencies -the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), Ohio Departments of Aging, Insurance, Job and Family Services and others - are on hand at the Disaster Recovery Center to answer questions about their agency and its role in disaster assistance.

Assistance Application Deadline Extended To November 27

Disaster recovery officials announced that the deadline for making application for disaster assistance has been extended due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Anyone who lives or works in Greene Count...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top