FEMA Approves Over $1.15 Million in Grant Funds for Fort Scott, Kansas

Main Content
Release date: 
October 2, 2000
Release Number: 
R7-00-36

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that more than $1.15 million in federal funds have been made available to Fort Scott for a project that will reduce future damages to its waste water treatment plant.

The treatment plant, located in the floodplain of the Marmaton River, has reported flooding in 1986, 1993, 1996 and 1998. The project will raise the existing dike protecting the plant to an elevation that will safeguard it from a 500-year flood event.

Beth Freeman, director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, MO, said that the funds would come through FEMA's Unmet Needs Program.

The $1.15 million grant represents FEMA's contribution to the project. The estimated cost of the project is $1.35 million. The state of Kansas, through the Kansas Division of Emergency Management and the local community, will administer and disperse the federal funds. The state determines which projects will receive funding from FEMA.

FEMA's Unmet Needs Program provides 75 percent of the funds for approved projects that lessen or eliminate the loss of lives and property in future disasters. The remaining 25 percent must be provided from non-federal sources. These federal funds came from a special appropriation from Congress for unmet needs that were a direct result from the severe storms and flooding that resulted in a Presidential disaster declaration for the state of Kansas in 1998.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top