Enough Disaster Assistance For All

Main Content
Release date: 
October 2, 2000
Release Number: 

Xenia, OH -- Severe storm and tornado survivors in Greene County do not need to be concerned that their applications for assistance will reduce the amounts available for their neighbors or affect the total amount of eligible assistance.

"Don't hesitate to apply for the disaster assistance you may need," Federal Coordinating Officer Lou Botta urged. "The federal government has allocated sufficient funds for grants for all those in the affected tornado-damaged areas who have eligible losses."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Ohio EMA) and voluntary organizations are providing a wide range of programs and services for tornado survivors.

More than 400 residents have called to apply in just five days since the phone lines became operational, following the major disaster declaration issued by President Clinton on September 26.

"There is enough help to go around for all homeowners, renters and business owners who are eligible," State Coordinating Officer Dale Shipley said. "The amounts distributed to one individual will in no way affect what is available to your neighbor or other citizens of Ohio."

Greene County residents who suffered disaster-related losses are encouraged to apply for housing assistance, counseling, disaster unemployment assistance or family grants to cover unmet needs. Financial support may be available to pay for temporary housing, emergency repairs and mortgage assistance. Applicants do not have to wait until they receive an insurance settlement to begin the assistance process.

"Don't assume that you are ineligible," Botta emphasized. "We don't want to miss anyone who has been affected by the severe storms and tornado, and may need help to begin the recovery process. Many people feel that disaster assistance is one of the best uses of their tax dollars."

The application process is easy, efficient and begins with a single phone call to FEMA's toll-free number, 800 462-9029. This number is available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. Those who are speech or hearing-impaired can apply by calling the TTY number, 800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top