Mortgage And Rental Assistance May Be Available

Main Content
Release date: 
September 18, 2000
Release Number: 

Helena, MT -- If you are facing foreclosure or eviction as a result of Montana's recent wildfires, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may be able to provide some relief.

"We know there are people out there who may be facing the loss of their home through foreclosure or eviction because of the financial impact of the fires or forest and road closures," said Federal Coordinating Officer Carlos Mitchell. "They should call FEMA's toll-free registration line at 1-800-745-0243 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585 for the speech- or hearing-impaired) to register for disaster assistance. We may be able to help."

"We don't want anyone to lose their home because the fires or forest and land closures affected their ability to pay the mortgage or rent," said State Coordinating Officer Jim Greene. " But we can't help unless they call FEMA to register for assistance."

"The wildfires have had a terrible economic impact on individuals and businesses," Greene added. "We want them to know that disaster assistance programs are available to those whose income was impacted by the fires or forest and land closures."

Mortgage and rental assistance is just one of many programs available to people and businesses affected by the worst fires in the state's history. Other programs include:

  • Disaster unemployment assistance
  • Low-interest loans for homeowners, renters and businesses for physical damage.
  • Economic Injury Disaster Loans for businesses
  • Temporary housing assistance, which can cover help for renters and homeowners who need short-term housing or money for emergency repairs.
  • Grants to meet disaster-related serious needs or necessary expenses.

Agricultural producers are also encouraged to call their local Farm Service Agency for assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top