Roseau & Clearwater Counties Now Eligible for Public Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 31, 2000
Release Number: 
1333-11

Minneapolis, MN -- Two more counties were added to those eligible for federal and state disaster assistance to repair public facilities damaged in severe storms and flooding in June.

James Lee Witt, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, designated Roseau and Clearwater counties for FEMA public assistance after damage assessments showed federal aid is needed to help the counties rebuild.

Communities in Roseau and Clearwater counties may request 75 percent matching aid for eligible costs of emergency services, debris removal, and repair or replacement of public facilities such as roads, bridges, buildings and utilities. Of the remaining 25%, the state provides a 15% match to county, city and township governmental units. The local government is responsible for the remaining 10%, according to federal and state disaster recovery officials.

With the addition of these counties, and the recent addition of tornado-damaged Yellow Medicine county for public and individual assistance, 17 Minnesota counties are now eligible for some type of state and federal disaster assistance under the Presidential disaster declaration issued June 27 at the request of Governor Jesse Ventura. Southeastern counties designated for public and individual assistance include: Fillmore, Houston and Mower, while those eligible for only public assistance are Dodge, Faribault, Freeborn and Winona. In the northwestern part of the state, Becker, Clay, Mahnomen and Norman counties and the White Earth Reservation will receive both public and individual assistance, and Roseau and Clearwater are now eligible for public assistance only. In the Twin Cities metro area, Dakota County has been designated eligible for both individual and public assistance programs while Ramsey County will receive public assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top