Two Counties Now Eligible To Apply For Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 11, 2000
Release Number: 
1327-07

Parsons, KS -- Two Kansas counties, Labette and Neosho, are now eligible to apply for state and federal disaster assistance to repair or replace public facilities damaged by severe storms and tornadoes, April 19th and 20th, disaster recovery officials announced today.

Louis Botta, federal coordinating officer for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said this latest disaster designation means that governmental entities in these counties can apply for help with eligible costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities.

Disaster assistance also may be provided to repair, restore, or replace facilities owned by certain private, nonprofit organizations that operate and maintain educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care or other essential governmental service facilities.

Anne Allen, state coordinating officer for Kansas, added that the first step toward providing assistance would be an applicant's briefing for local officials and certain non-profit organizations. The Kansas Division of Emergency Management (KDEM) will conduct these briefings.

According to FEMA officials, 75% of the costs of eligible approved projects will be reimbursed by federal funds. The State of Kansas and the applicants will share the remaining 25%.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top