Main Content

WV Disaster Assistance Rises to $6.1 Million

Release date: 
May 4, 2000
Release Number: 

CHARLESTON, W. Va. -- Although the application period for recovery of damages caused by the flash flooding, storms and landslides in February has ended, Federal and state disaster officials continue providing individual and infrastructure assistance to West Virginians, according to disaster officials.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) received a total of 1,298 applications for individual assistance from disaster victims in the designated counties.

Since President Clinton declared the 26 counties eligible for Individual Assistance, Public Assistance or both, FEMA assistance to date includes:

  • Disaster housing totaling $1.7 million.
  • Individual and Family Grants (IFG) of $862,012.
  • U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans of $1.3 million.
  • Infrastructure repair assistance totaling nearly $2.2 million.

The largest disbursement to date for individual disaster assistance has been to Kanawha County residents receiving $376,120 followed by Roane County with $353,253 and Ritchie County receiving $230,941 in disaster aid.

Although the application deadline is over, FEMA's disaster assistance Helpline is still available for anyone having questions about the status of his or her application. The toll-free number to call is 1-800-525-0321 or TTY 1-800 462-7585 for people with speech or hearing impairments. The phone lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Disaster Recovery At A Glance

  • 1,298 individuals have registered for disaster assistance
  • $1.7 million approved for disaster housing
  • $ 862,012 approved for the Individual and Family Grant Program
  • $1,347,900 approved in SBA loans for individuals and businesses
  • Three Disaster Recovery Centers opened in Gilmer, Kanawha and Wetzel Counties.
  • Mobile Disaster Recovery Centers were operated in Cabell, Calhoun, Harrison, Jackson, Mason, Monongalia and Ritchie Counties
  • 286 people visited the fixed and mobile Disaster Recovery Centers
  • Home Inspections issued: 1,139
  • Home Inspections completed: 1,132
  • Current Inspectors in Field: 2
  • Applicants Assistance Team meetings held in Lewis, Lincoln, Putnam, Randolph, Tyler, Upshur and Wirt Counties
  • Disaster Application deadline: April 28
  • 105 requests for Infrastructure assistance were received from local government, state, special district and private non profit entities

During the height of the disaster, the American Red Cross served 2,109 meals, opened 16 shelters, which housed 125 people, and issued 762 Clean-Up Kits and 654 Comfort Kits.

Nearly $2.2 million in federal assistance has been approved for various infrastructure projects throughout the 26 county disaster area, with additional projects still pending.

Eligible infrastructure repairs include debris removal, protective measures, roads and bridges, public water facilities, public buildings, public utilities, and other miscellaneous categories. The federal government contributes 75 percent of the total funding with the state contributing the remaining 25 percent. Officials also noted that nearly $15 million in requests for Hazard Mitigation Grant Projects have been received.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: