Disaster Assistance is Just a Phone Call Away

Main Content
Release date: 
May 3, 2000
Release Number: 

Kansas City, MO -- Residents and business owners in three Kansas counties who were affected by the severe storms and tornadoes April 19th and 20th now are eligible to apply for disaster assistance, state and federal recovery officials announced today.

Registrations for state and federal disaster assistance starts by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at 1-800-462-9029. For those who are hearing- or speech-impaired, the number is 1-800-462-7585. The call is free and recovery specialists can take registrations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (CDT) seven days a week until further notice.

Those who are eligible to apply are individuals, families and businesses in Crawford, Labette and Neosho counties with damages from severe storms and tornadoes which occurred on April 19th and 20th. Disaster recovery programs are available for both owners and renters.

"It's important for those who've sustained damages, even if they are insured, to call and register as soon as possible," said John A. Miller, regional director of FEMA's Region VII office in Kansas City, Missouri. "The law does not allow the government to provide disaster aid if your losses have been fully compensated by an insurance claim. This would be a duplication of payments for your losses. However, if you were uninsured, under-insured or your insurance policy did not cover some of your expenses, damages or losses, FEMA may be able to help."

Maj. Gen. (KS) Gregory B. Gardner, director of Kansas Division of Emergency Management, urged disaster victims to call FEMA to register, even if they're not sure whether they will be eligible for assistance.

The assistance programs include: grants for short-term rental needs; grants to make minimal home repairs; low-interest U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans to repair major damage and/or replace damaged personal property; grants to meet serious disaster-related needs not covered by other programs, and disaster unemployment assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top