Washington, DC -- Federal disaster funds were made available today for Maryland to supplement state and local response efforts for the severe winter storm that hit the state earlier this year, according to the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
FEMA Director James Lee Witt said President Clinton authorized the assistance under a major disaster declaration issued this afternoon following a review of the agency's analysis of the state's recent request for federal aid.
Under the declaration, Witt said the state and local governments in 13 jurisdictions are eligible to apply for federal funding to pay 75 percent of the approved cost for emergency services related to the storm that occurred over the period of January 25-30.
The jurisdictions designated for the assistance include the city of Baltimore and the counties of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George's, Queen Anne's, St. Mary's and Talbot.
Witt said the declaration also makes cost-shared funding available to the state for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks. He indicated that more counties and additional forms of federal assistance may be designated later after further evaluation of the storm's effects.
Thomas P. Davies of FEMA was named by Witt to coordinate the federal assistance.