Main Content

Buckhannon to Get Funds to Reduce Flood Risk

Main Content
Release date: 
March 28, 2000
Release Number: 

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The City of Buckhannon, Upshur County, West Virginia, will receive funding for a $671,622 hazard mitigation project to reduce the risk of flooding.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved the project, which includes the acquisition and demolition of seven structures and the elevation of 16 structures in the City of Buckhannon.

FEMA will release $503,716 to the state of West Virginia as the federal share - 75 percent - of the estimated project cost. Local and state jurisdictions will provide the remaining 25 percent.

The federal funds come from FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which is intended to reduce risk from future disasters by breaking the disaster-repair-disaster cycle, thus saving economic and emotional costs.

Communities present hazard-mitigation proposals to their states. The states select from among these proposals, using their own criteria. FEMA reviews the states' choices to make sure they comply with federal law and are cost effective. If the proposals pass these tests, FEMA releases the funds to the states.

Hazard-mitigation funds are limited. The money available is an additional amount equivalent to 15 percent of the federal money spent on response and recovery operations in a federally declared disaster.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top