Two Disaster Recovery Centers to Open

Main Content
Release date: 
March 10, 2000
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- State/federal disaster recovery centers will be opened in Flemingsburg and Ashland to serve the needs of Kentucky flood victims.

The centers will be staffed with representatives of the U.S. Small Business Administration, Federal Emergency Management Agency, state, and other federal agencies who can answer questions about assistance available to individuals and businesses with disaster-related losses.

W.R. Padgett, director of the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management, said the locations and hours of operations will be:

Fleming County
Friday, Mar. 17-Sunday, Mar. 19
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
County Courthouse
100 Court Square

Boyd County
Tuesday Mar. 21-Thursday Mar. 23
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
National Guard Armory
2519 Lexington Ave.

A presidential declaration has made individual and business disaster assistance available in 10 Kentucky counties: Bath, Boyd, Carter, Fleming, Greenup, Lewis, Mason, Nicholas, Robertson and Rowan.

Individuals and business operators with disaster-related losses who have not called the registration line, 1-800-462-9029, are urged to do so before going to a disaster recovery center. Those who have already registered may visit a center or call 1-800-525-0321 to check on the status of applications or get complete information about assistance available. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.

Individuals may qualify for SBA loans at 3.812 percent interest to cover disaster-related personal property losses. Homeowners may qualify for loans at the same rate to replace personal property or repair damaged homes. Business operators may qualify for loans at 4 percent interest to repair or replace business property.

Applicants who do not qualify for SBA loans may be eligible for individual or family grants for necessary expenses and unmet serious needs including housing, personal property, medical, dental and funeral expenses incurred as a result of the disaster.

Renters and homeowners whose homes became unlivable may get grants to pay for temporary lodging elsewhere. Homeowners may be eligible for home repair grants if their homes can be made safe and livable with minor repairs.

Other assistance may include technical advice on how to rebuild to reduce losses in future disasters, stress counseling for victims, federal tax refunds for casualty losses, and help for military veterans with questions on veterans' death benefits, pensions, insurance settlements and adjustments to home mortgages.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top