Officials Begin Application Process For Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
March 7, 2000
Release Number: 
1318-03

RICHMOND, Va. -- The process of applying for federal disaster assistance for reimbursement of emergency work performed in 103 Virginia communities during two severe January winter storms will begin this week for local officials.

State and federal teams will conduct applicant briefing/kick-off meetings. These briefings are being held to explain the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance Program, and will allow jurisdictions to apply for reimbursement for emergency work performed during the snow and ice storms.

The emergency work will include the costs of abrasive materials and salt for roadways, debris removal and emergency protective measures. Funds to repair eligible utilities in declared jurisdictions will also be available to qualified applicants.

Briefings for local government officials will be held to explain in detail the procedures public agencies must follow when applying for federal Public Assistance disaster funds. Local officials from the affected jurisdictions may attend any of the briefings. The dates and locations are as follows:

10:30 AM,Thursday, March 9
Newport News EOC
513 Oyster Point Road
Newport News, VA 23602

10:00 AM, Friday, March 10
DES Administrative Headquarters
10501 Trade Court
Training Rooms B and C
RICHMOND, Va., VA 23236

10:30 AM, Monday, March 13
Feralazzo Building (Prince William County)
15941 Cardinal Drive
Classroons A and B
Dumfries, VA 22026

10:00 AM, Wednesday, March 15
Christiansburg Rescue Squad
Christiansburg, VA 24073
I-81 S. to Exit 114 - make right onto Route 8,
make a left at the first light, go through next
light - building is about 1/8 of a mile

President Clinton designated 92 counties and 11 cities as major disaster areas Feb. 28.

With the Presidential disaster declaration, affected local governments and state agencies can apply for federal funds for reimbursement of 75 percent of the approved costs for use of abrasive materials on roadways, debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairs to eligible utilities. State and local governments must provide the remaining 25 percent of costs.

While the briefings are scheduled to help local officials understand the assistance application process, news media representatives are welcome to attend and observe. These meetings do not address disaster assistance programs for individuals and families.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top