FEMA Approves Over $2 Million In Grant Funds to The City of Volga, Iowa

Main Content
Release date: 
February 9, 2000
Release Number: 
R7-00-08

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced that an estimated $2,146,726 in federal funding will be made available to help reduce the risk of future flood losses in Volga, Iowa.

John A. Miller, director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., said that the funds would be provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) to acquire and relocate 43 residential and commercial structures within the 100-year floodplain of the Volga River. After the structures are either relocated or demolished, the land will then be permanently converted for public use, such as municipal open space, recreation areas or wetlands.

"FEMA's goal is to help reduce both the potential for future flood damage and the corresponding human suffering it causes," Miller said. "Iowa communities continue to join in this partnership in a concerted effort to solve their flooding problems and develop disaster resistant communities."

"The approval of this project resulted from a cooperative effort by the three partners involved, namely the Iowa Emergency Management Division, the city of Volga and FEMA," Miller said.

"Removing people from harm's way and protecting facilities that provide essential services are important steps in making a community more resistant to future disasters," Miller said. "I commend the state of Iowa and the city of Volga for their efforts."

Under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, FEMA funds 75% of approved projects. The remaining 25% must be provided from non-federal sources.

A large portion of the non-federal share for this project is being provided as a part of other acquisition projects in eight Iowa communities. These eight communities are funded entirely by the Community Development Block Grant Program.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top