FEMA Provides Disaster Grant to the City of Omaha, Nebraska

Main Content
Release date: 
February 1, 2000
Release Number: 
R7-00-01

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced that an estimated $1,549,490 in federal funding will be made available to help reduce the risk of future flood losses in Omaha, Neb.

John A. Miller, director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., said that the funds would be provided through FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) to acquire and demolish 20 residential and commercial structures within the 100-year floodplain of the Big and Little Papillion Creeks. After the structures are demolished, the land will then be permanently converted for public use, such as municipal open space, recreation areas or wetlands.

"FEMA's goal is to help reduce both the potential for future flood damage and the corresponding human suffering it causes," Miller said. "Nebraska communities continue to join in this partnership in a concerted effort to solve their flooding problems and develop disaster resistant communities."

"The approval of this project is a result of careful and intense efforts by the four partners involved, namely the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, the city of Omaha, the Papio-Missouri Natural Resource District and FEMA," Miller said.

"Removing people from harm's way and protecting facilities that provide essential services are important steps in making a community more resistant to future disasters," Miller said. "I commend the state of Nebraska and the city of Omaha for their efforts."

The $1,549,490 grant represents FEMA's 75 percent contribution to the project. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $2,065,987. The remaining 25 percent will be provided locally.

FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides funds for projects that lessen or eliminate the loss of lives and property in future disasters. Under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, FEMA funds 75% of approved projects. The remaining 25% must be from non-federal sources.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top