Seven Additional Kentucky Counties Added To Disaster Declaration For Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
January 20, 2000
Release Number: 
1310-17

OWENSBORO, Ky. -- Governor Paul Patton announced today that seven Kentucky counties have been declared eligible for federal and state disaster funds to repair and replace publicly owned facilities in the aftermath of January 3-4 tornadoes and flash-flooding. This brings the total to nine counties that are now eligible to receive reimbursements for damage to public facilities, such as roads, bridges, buildings and utilities, and for emergency protective measures and debris clearance.

"This is extremely good news for these counties," Patton said, "since their budgets have been significantly stressed by this disaster." Patton noted that Carlisle County for instance had exhausted nearly a quarter of its annual road fund in cleaning up after the storms.

The seven add-ons are Ballard, Breckinridge, Carlisle, Livingston and Spencer counties, as well as Hopkins and Webster counties, which were already designated for aid for individuals, families and business owners who had losses.

According to W. R. Padgett, Director of the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster funds will cover 75% of the eligible cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities. State and local governments will provide the remaining 25%. The declaration also makes cost-shared funding available to the state for projects that reduce future disaster risks.

Four of these counties " Daviess, Crittenden, Hopkins and Webster " have already been designated for aid to individuals and business owners. People who had personal property losses in those counties may be eligible to receive low-interest loans, grants, rental assistance, veterans benefits, tax refunds, unemployment benefits and crisis counseling.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top