FEMA and Kentucky to Open Disaster Recovery Center in Owensboro Tuesday

Main Content
Release date: 
January 19, 2000
Release Number: 

OWENSBORO, Ky. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Kentucky Division of Emergency Management (KyEM) will open a Disaster Recovery Center at the Daviess County Courthouse (St. Ann St. entrance) at noon tomorrow, Tuesday, to assist recent storm and tornado victims who have registered for help.

The center will be staffed with representatives of federal, state and voluntary agencies who will provide information and answer questions about the assistance available to residents of the four designated disaster counties following the recent tornadoes, storms and flash flooding. Storm victims in Daviess, Crittenden, Hopkins and Webster Counties may be eligible to be considered for a variety of state-federal disaster assistance programs.

W.R. Padgett, Director of the Kentucky Division of Emergency Management and FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Scott Wells urge anyone who has suffered losses or damages as a result of the storms of January 3 - 4 to first register for assistance on FEMA's toll-free registration line, and then visit the center to resolve any questions or secure help. After Tuesday, the center will be open from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. until further notice. "The Disaster Recovery Center will be there as long as necessary to help the people of Kentucky recover from this disaster," Wells said.

"A variety of federal, state and voluntary agency programs are available for homeowners, renters and business owners affected by the disaster," Padgett noted. "Now is the time to find out about these programs and begin the process of recovering from this terrible disaster."

The center is open to everyone. But to be eligible for federal disaster assistance, individuals and businesses must have suffered damages in one of the four designated disaster counties. Victims are urged to start the application process by calling toll-free, 1-800-462-9029. Those with hearing or speech impairments may call TTY 1-800-462-7585 to apply.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top