RALEIGH, N.C. -- With the deadline for applying for federal and state recovery assistance from the floods of 1999 only four days away, January 18, $899 million has already been approved to help individuals and businesses recover from the disasters.
The U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) continues to lead in disaster assistance with $377.9 million in loans for home and property damage and economic losses for businesses.
Disaster housing assistance and individual and family grants have reached $140.5 million as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and state governmental units work to help individuals and families return their home and work routines to normal.
But the deadline for registering for federal/state assistance is only a few days away. Those who suffered losses in the sixty-six North Carolina counties declared disaster areas as a result of Hurricanes Floyd and Irene have until Tuesday, January 18, to apply. The FEMA recovery Hotline number is 1-800-462-9029 or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for persons with speech or hearing impairments. The lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Program totals to date:
- SBA disaster home loans: $268.8 million
- SBA business real property and economic loss loans: $109.1 million
- Disaster housing assistance: $68 million
- Individual and family grants: $72.9 million
- Missions assigned by FEMA to other federal and state agencies to help in recovery operations: $30 million
- Money approved for local governments and eligible private, nonprofit agencies for repair and restoration of public facilities and other disaster-related expenses: $205.1 million
- National Flood Insurance Program claims approved: $109.3 million
- Crisis counseling: $868,000
- Disaster unemployment assistance: $4.4 million
- Site preparation and purchase of mobile homes: $30.9 million
- Total federal/state disaster recovery dollars: $899.3 million
(NOTE: See attached county-by-county figures)
County by County Disaster Aid
Jan. 14, 2000
|Declared County||Total Disaster Applicants||Families Assisted - Housing||Disaster Housing Amount||IFG Applicants Approved||Individual and Family Grants Appproved||SBA Loans Approved||Small Business Administration Loans||Public Assistance Projects||Public Assistance Funding||TOTAL $|