RALEIGH, N.C. -- State and federal disaster recovery officials announced today that disbursements to individuals and reimbursements to their communities had reached $726.5 million in the wake of Hurricanes Floyd and Irene.
Acting on a request by the state, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) this week extended until Jan.18 the time that eligible residents of the 66 disaster-declared counties may apply for assistance. And Federal Coordinating Officer Glenn Woodard urged North Carolinians to become "their brothers' keepers" by encouraging friends, neighbors, or acquaintances who may have suffered losses to apply for federal and state assistance to help them in their long-term recovery.
By close of business Thursday, FEMA and the state had received 79,226 applications for aid relating to storm losses. The toll-free number to register is 1-800-462-9029 or 1-800-462-7585 for those with speech and hearing impairments. For those who have already registered and have questions or wish to check on the status of their applications, the number is 1-800-525-0321. All the numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
Funds expended thus far:
- $338 million in Small Business Administration loans for homeowners and businesses.
- $54.3 million for housing assistance for 31,543 applicants.
- $135.6 million for debris removal, emergency safety measures, and repair of damaged public infrastructure.
- $63.8 million in grants to 17,587 families and individuals for necessities.
- $3.1 million in disaster unemployment compensation for 5,508 applicants.
- $80.5 has been approved for 12,246 claimants by the National Flood Insurance Program.
- $868,000 for victim crisis counseling programs to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
- $30 million for recovery missions assigned by FEMA to other agencies.
- $20.3 for site preparation and purchase of mobile homes and travel trailers.
Total: $726.5 million in state and federal assistance.
County By County Disaster Aid
Dec. 17, 1999
|Declared County||Total Disaster Applicants||Families Assisted - Housing||Disaster Housing Amount||IFG Applicants Approved||Individual and Family Grants Approved||SBA Loans Approved||Small Business Administration Loans||Public Assistance Projects||Public Assistance Funding||TOTAL $|