RALEIGH, N.C. -- Nearly three months after two successive hurricanes inundated much of eastern North Carolina, federal and state assistance to its 66 disaster-declared counties has reached $698.4 million.
Led by spending for direct assistance to individuals and families, reimbursement to the state and local governments for infrastructure damage and loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), assistance is going out at an average rate of $8 million a day.
At the 90-day mark, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) had received 77,042 registrations over its application hotline, 1-800-462-9029 (1-800-462-7585 for the speech or hearing impaired). The registration period closes Dec. 14 at 6 p.m.
Here are the numbers:
- $325.7 million in SBA loans for homeowners and businesses incurring uninsured losses to buildings or inventory.
- $52.6 million for housing assistance to 30,487 applicants.
- $128.5 million for debris removal, emergency safety measures, and repair of damaged public infrastructure.
- $59.6 million in grants to 16,719 individuals and families for necessities.
- $2.7 million in disaster unemployment assistance to 5,420 applicants.
- In addition to the above, 12,246 National Flood Insurance Program policyholders have filed claims and disbursements totaling $80.5 million have been approved.
- $868,000 for victim crisis counseling programs to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
- $30 million for recovery missions assigned by FEMA to other agencies.
- $18 million for site preparation and purchase of mobile homes and travel trailers.
Disaster recovery centers have served 66,599 individuals and the federal/state helpline (1-800-525-0321) has taken 114,182 calls.
Persons who need to apply or get help with their applications should visit the centers or call the toll-free numbers. Both the application line and the helpline are available 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. daily.
County By County Disaster Aid
Dec. 10, 1999
|Declared County||Total Disaster Applicants||Families Assisted - Housing||Disaster Housing Amount||IFG Applicants Approved||Individual and Family Grants Appproved||SBA Loans Approved||Small Business Administration Loans||Public Assistance Projects||Public Assistance Funding?||TOTAL $|