State Eligible For $28.4 Million To Date For Public Aid

Main Content
Release date: 
November 5, 1999
Release Number: 
1292-90

Nearly $28.4 million has been earmarked to date by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to pay for hurricane Floyd-related damages to public infrastructure and other storm-related costs.

This eligible amount is in addition to the approximately $300 million approved by FEMA for individual assistance programs including temporary housing, individual and family grants, unemployment aid and Small Business Administration (SBA) loans.

FEMA's public assistance or infrastructure program reimburses communities for costs of repairing disaster-damaged public roads, bridges and buildings. It also includes costs for emergency services, debris removal and overtime pay for security. Further, it permits federal funding to repair educational, emergency, medical and zoological facilities, as well as for libraries and certain other non-profit organizations. FEMA pays 75 percent of the costs. The state, local governments and eligible private, non-profit entities pay the other 25 percent.

The deadline for applicants to submit a request for assistance has been extended to Nov. 29.

"We are pleased that with the cooperation of the state we have processed this amount of money so badly needed to assist governments in North Carolina in their recovery efforts," said Federal Coordinating Officer Glenn Woodard of FEMA.

The bulk of the eligible amount includes $14.2 million for protective measures such as security, search and rescue and emergency work; $8.2 million for public utilities repairs and replacement; and $4.1 million for debris removal.

Eric Tolbert, director of the State Division of Emergency Management ((NCEMD). commended local and state agencies in their recovery efforts and added "We still have a long way to go in our recovery program but these initial projections show we are headed in the right direction in our assistance work."

Of the federally-obligated totals, $8.2 million has been allocated for immediate funding needs for more than 20 of the approximately 500 applicants. This is money provided to governmental entities that did not have the cash on hand to pay for immediate emergency obligations including debris removal, emergency protective measures and removal of health and safety hazards.

Other public assistance funds declared eligible by FEMA to date are: Road and bridge repair and/or replacement, $317,915; water control facilities $73,275; public buildings, $442,325; recreational and other, $49,251.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top