Main Content

Yorktown School District Gets Initial Federal Disaster Funds

Main Content
Release date: 
October 16, 1999
Release Number: 

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Yorktown Central School District has been sent a first payment of $120,375 for emergency repair of flood damages caused by Tropical Storm Floyd, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO) announced today.

FEMA routed the money to SEMO, which administers disaster funds disbursed to local government units like the Yorktown district in Westchester County. The federal funds became available when President Clinton issued a major disaster declaration for 13 counties in New York, 10 of which are eligible for public assistance funds for projects of this sort.

The money will help the school district repair or replace the high school's systems and equipment damaged by Floyd, including electrical and mechanical systems, heating, a water boiler, and the school's telephone system.

"This is a first payment to help the district meet its immediate needs," said Edward F. Jacoby, state coordinating officer for the disaster recovery. "The remaining payment will be approved after the district sends in records for the work done."

"More funds will be disbursed for other flood damage to the district as we go through the assessment and approval process step by step," Jacoby said. That could include money for preventive steps like moving electrical switchgear above flood level.

FEMA will pay 75 percent of eligible infrastructure damage to the district's facilities, with the remaining 25 percent paid by state and local sources.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: