RALEIGH, N.C. -- After almost one full month of disaster recovery efforts the total number of North Carolinians registering for disaster assistance now totals 60,667 residents. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disbursements for emergency disaster housing and individual assistance and family grants totaled a combined $35.2 million. In addition the Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved 31,836 low-interest loans to individuals and businesses totaling $56.4 million, bringing the total for grants and loans to individuals, families and businesses to $91.6 million.
The latest numbers in brief:
- Over 30,000 disaster housing inspections have been completed by FEMA out of 44,372 scheduled
- 16,402 checks totaling $27.3 million have been disbursed for emergency disaster housing as of Wednesday, which is the latest number available
- 2,579 checks totaling $7.9 million have been issued in grants to individual and families for serious needs not covered by insurance or charitable organizations
- Nineteen disaster recovery centers and three mobile centers have given 28,128 disaster victims information and assistance with their applications
- 436 disaster victims have requested crisis-counseling services at the disaster recovery centers
- Public Assistance has reached $7.2 million including reimbursement of emergency protective measures and debris removal
- There are 307 state-purchased travel trailers occupied.
Registration remains open at FEMA's toll-free application hotline, 1-800-462-9029 (1-800-462-7585 for the speech or hearing impaired). The lines are open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. until further notice. Any applicant wishing to change a disaster inspection appointment or inquire about the status of their request for assistance should call the toll-free Helpline at 1-800-525-0321.