Disaster Assistance Available for Nonprofit Organizations

Main Content
Release date: 
October 14, 1999
Release Number: 
1303-19

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Federal disaster assistance programs may be available to help certain not-for-profit organizations with emergency and permanent repair work in the wake of Hurricane Floyd and the floods that followed.

Eligible applicants must be tax exempt, open to the public, in use at the time of the disaster, and provide a government-type service. Examples of organizations that may be eligible for disaster assistance include volunteer fire departments, colleges, utilities, ambulance services and museums.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will provide 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing, restoring or replacing damaged public facilities. The remaining 25 percent must come from non-federal sources.

Organizations must apply for this disaster assistance within 30 days of their declaration dates in order to be eligible for disaster assistance. Applicants in Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Harford, Kent and Queen Anne's counties have until October 24 to apply for public assistance. Applicants in Somerset and Talbot counties have until October 27 to apply. Applicants in Calvert and St. Mary's counties have until October 29.

Disaster assistance also may be provided to repair, restore or replace facilities owned by certain private, not-for-profit organizations that operate and maintain educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care or other essential governmental service facilities.

Organizations wishing to apply for Public Assistance should contact Bud Howard, Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), at 410-286-4422 or FEMA Public Assistance personnel at 443-394-2200 by the above dates.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top