CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- South Texans who had losses as a result of Hurricane Bret have until 5 p.m. Thursday, October 21 to register for assistance by calling the toll-free teleregistration number, 1-800-462-9029. Those with hearing or speech impairments may call TTY 1-800-462-7585. Applicants may call between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
After making the call, those who need additional information about the types of disaster assistance available to them, or who need to update their application may visit either of the Disaster Recovery Centers still operating. The hours of operation for the centers are now 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Center locations are:
- Corpus Christi, RTA Building, 1812 Alameda St.
- Falfurrias, Lacks Furniture Store, 119 W. Rice St.
Information is also available by calling the Helpline at 1-800-525-0321 from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
So far, almost 16,000 individuals have registered for assistance. Nearly $11,000,000 in grants and loans to individuals and businesses has been approved to date for Hurricane Bret:
- $7,692,294 in funds for temporary rental assistance and minor, emergency home repairs.
- $1,177,702 in grants for other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by other government or voluntary agency programs.
- $1,583,900 in low-interest disaster-recovery loans for homeowners and renters.
- $446,800 in low-interest disaster recovery loans for businesses.