Main Content

SBA Application Paves the Way to Disaster Aid

Main Content
Release date: 
October 8, 1999
Release Number: 

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- If you received a disaster-loan application from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), federal and state officials urge you to return your completed forms, even if you do not want a loan.

"Completing the SBA loan application does not obligate the applicant to a loan. It is a required step, however, in determining if you are eligible for other types of disaster assistance," said Bob Churchman, acting director of the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and state coordinating officer for the disaster-recovery effort.

To be considered for an SBA loan, an applicant must apply for disaster assistance by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) toll-free registration number 1-800-462-9029. The number for speech- or hearing-impaired applicants is 1-800-462-7585 (TTY).

"If your family income is above a certain level, you will be provided with a loan package to fill out and return to the SBA," said Jack Schuback, the federal coordinating officer from FEMA. "Whether you qualify for a loan depends on your ability to repay," he said.

"If you don't qualify for an SBA loan, your application may be referred to the Individual and Family Grant Program," Churchman said.

The SBA is making loans available to eligible homeowners, renters and businesses in Dauphin, Lycoming, Northumberland, Snyder and Union counties to help repair and replace property damaged by flooding caused by Tropical Depression Dennis over Labor Day weekend.

To check on the status of your SBA disaster-loan application or for assistance in completing the forms, call the SBA at 1-800-659-2955.

For other questions about disaster assistance, call the FEMA helpline toll-free number 1-800-525-0321.

Flood victims who have not yet applied can start the process by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number 1-800-462-9029. Telephone lines are open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.

The number for registration and help for speech- or hearing-impaired applicants is 1-800-462-7585 (TTY).

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top