Working Together to Reduce Disaster Losses

Main Content
Release date: 
October 7, 1999
Release Number: 
1303-17

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Hurricane Floyd and the floods that followed resulted in 11 Maryland counties being declared eligible for disaster assistance. Now is the time to look toward the future and work to minimize future disaster damage.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) takes a serious look at problems caused by disasters and funds projects designed to "mitigate" (minimize or eliminate) future risk and losses.

The State of Maryland is working with FEMA to develop hazard mitigation solutions throughout the affected counties. Priorities have been established which target residential structures located in flood hazard areas and critical public facilities.

Eligible applicants include state and local governments and certain private non-profit organizations.

Projects that can be funded to protect public or private property include:

  • Acquisition and relocation of structures from hazard-prone areas.
  • Retrofitting, such as floodproofing, to protect structures from damage.
  • Structural hazard control, such as debris basins or floodwalls.
  • Development of State or local standards to protect new and substantially improved structures from disaster damage.

Through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, FEMA funds 75 percent of approved projects. The remaining 25 percent must be from non-federal sources.

The Hazard Mitigation Grant funds are made available only following a presidential declaration of a disaster. For more information on how to apply for a HMGP grant, call 1-877-636-2872.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top