Insured Should Apply For Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 6, 1999
Release Number: 

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- If you suffered damage from Hurricane Floyd and the floods that followed during September 16 to 20 and were insured, you may still be eligible for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Federal Coordinating Officer Curt Musgrave said, "The law does not allow the government to provide disaster aid if your losses have been fully compensated by an insurance claim." Musgrave added, "However, if you were uninsured, under-insured or your insurance policy did not cover some of your expenses, damages or losses, FEMA may be able to help."

Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Director Dave McMillion added, "If your insurance company did not fully cover your losses, take the first step and register with FEMA."

Anyone who sustained damage from Hurricane Floyd and subsequent flooding should register with FEMA by calling the toll-free teleregistration number 1-800-462-9029 (TTY 1-800-462-7585). The registration numbers are available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (EDT), seven days a week until further notice.

The disaster programs available include temporary housing, individual and family grants, low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for homeowners, renters or business owners and other aid programs, including disaster unemployment assistance for self-employed individuals, farmers, agricultural producers, watermen and seasonal employees.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top