RALEIGH, N.C. -- State and federal assistance to hurricane victims in North Carolina's 66 disaster counties totaled $34.4 million Friday, with the number of requests for aid approaching 50,000 and continuing to climb.
In addition to $28 million obligated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for recovery tasks ranging from debris clearance to health studies, $6.6 million in direct assistance has been approved for 3,438 families to provide emergency housing, home repair, replacement of lost essential property and temporary housing.
To date 49,955 hurricane victims have registered for assistance using the toll-free application hotline, 1-800-462-9029. (The toll-free number for those with speech or hearing impairments is 1-800-462-7585). The lines are available daily from 7 a.m. to midnight until further notice.
Totals in brief:
- There are now 134 units in place at the Rocky Mount travel trailer site with 79 families assigned units. This site will become a community of 300 temporary homes. The state has purchased 468 thus far units and additional sites are planned for Duplin, Greene, Jones, Lenoir, Nash, Pitt, Wayne and Wilson counties
- Eighteen disaster recovery centers and a mobile center have given more than 13,321 applicants assistance information
- FEMA and the state have 59 community relations specialists delivering assistance information directly to applicants in the field
- Grants totaling $4.6 million were approved for families in need of disaster housing
- Individual and family grants to 849 families for housing needs and to replace essential lost property totaled $2.1 million
- Crisis counseling was requested by 368 families
- 9,653 residents registered for disaster housing assistance
- 18,571 persons received emergency assistance from the American Red Cross
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has issued 23,520 home repair loan applications and approved $4.1 million in loans
- SBA has issued 7,713 business loan applications
- 28,278 applicants have been referred for income tax assistance with casualty losses
- There were 29 requests from families for help with funeral expenses